Because I could not stop for death....

I got knocked up instead...

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

C Sections are NOT your friend

So this article regarding the dramatic rise in C-Sections was on CNN. I have always contended that there are too many C-Sections done, and in thinking about it, I'm beginning to believe I have the answer.

Women think it's easier.

Now, rationally that makes no sense, at least to me it doesn't. Major surgery prior to having to take care of a newborn does NOT sound easier.

But listen to the arguments some women given. You can scheduale it. Maybe I won't have bladder issues. My doctor is out of town. They won't let me.

The fact that many hospitals are now BANNING VBAC's drives me insane. The rate of uterine rupture during VBAC is 1%, so I would say it's about par with natural problems anyway. To prevent all women from VBAC because of this, because they might get sued (anyone who sues over this needs a swift kick anyway, but I digress)

BIRTH IS NOT A MEDICAL PROCEDURE. Is this why the US is going to hell in a handbasket? Because everyone, right up to birthing mothers, wants the "easy" way out? The body knows what to do. Sometimes, you need help, which thankfully, can be given. But why do people look at birth in the same light as getting their appendix removed?

Because we have no female support systems, no groups of older, wiser women to calm us and tell us about our bodies, and what they can do. We read medical journals, and yet refuse to listen to our bodies. Your body is MADE to create, support, birth and feed a child. So why will you not trust it?

I get so mad at this I swear...

8 comments:

At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm with you...

I would do natural if I can. But I have 4 C-Section due to medical reason. I always envy people who actually could do natural as that what I call a complete pregnancy and birth experience.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had three children and it never crossed my mind (not even once) to have a c-section, or pain medication. I did all natural, and I'm really happy that I was able to.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took the drugs (aaaahhhh Morphine) and skipped the C-sections...push, scream, push, slap (my husband) all three times. I see the increase in C-sections all around me. It seems like every second person I know having a baby does it by C-section...kinda seems like the "yuppie" thing to do...schedule the birth of your baby like a nail appointment.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger thordora said...

If you need it, I'm cool with it, because I know that NORMAL people don't want major surgery.....ARGH!

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rather the kid rip a whole through my abdomen to get out instead of a c-section. Granted, I am not a good candidate for debate on this issue since surgery in general scared the bejeezus out of me. (Took three nurses to put the IV in my arm for dental surgery, cause I was shaking so bad....)

I dunno, but... I saw C-sections on TV and they look FAR from easy. And the aftermath is apparently pretty brutal. Why bother if you don't have to?

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there thordora, I had been out looking for some new information on acne when I found your site and this post. Though not just what I was searching for, it drew my attention. An interesting post and I thank you for it.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After 27 hours of labor I was quite happy for the C-Section...I would have been happy with a revolver to my temple at that point. I was offered a c-section with the next one, but I declined and decided to give it another try. I am very happy I did. The VBAC was the best thing I ever did.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had two csections. My first csection was an emergency csection. My baby got stuck and labor never progressed. Having never really had surgery before I had no idea what to expect but I knew that I really had no choice. When I became pregnant with my second baby I knew that I'd be having another csection because of a few reasons - 1. the ob who did my first csection said not to go VBAC b/c of the kind of insicions made to get my first baby out. 2. I knew what to expect.

Towards the middle of my pregnancy I had been doing some reading and saw that the hospital that I went to started a new policy banning VBAC. I chuckled a bit because I was starting to have second thoughts about having another csection. I thought that at the very least I'd ask my new OB based on my medical record and medical issues what her opinion was and make my decision based on that. My doctor told me that the reason behind the banning of the VBAC's in this hospital was because of the malpractice insurance - and that it was simply too high to keep paying vs. the insurance rate with the vbac ban. She did state that there are some studies that show that VBAC is riskier than once thought, but yet other studies that show the opposite.

When it came down to it I had to have another emergency csection a month before my scheduled one because of pregnancy complications. So VBAC wouldnt have been an option anyway. When sitting in the lobby of my OB's office it used to piss me off how people would talk about how they would rather birth on this day or that day, schedule it for a Tuesday vs a Friday - because it fit into the schedule better. Eventually I laughed and thought about how screwed their schedule will be once they get home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vivian Dianne Sara
Lilypie Baby Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker