Because I could not stop for death....

I got knocked up instead...

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thinking Thursdays: William Carlos Williams


In my never ending quest to expose you (yes YOU!) to more poetry, may I present,

WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS!
Born 1883 Died 1963.





Quoted from the Yahoo! reference entry: (see also the Wikipedia entry)
"Williams observed American life closely, expressed anger at injustice, and recorded his impressions in a lucid, vital style. He developed a verse that is close to the idiom of speech, revealing a fidelity to ordinary things seen and heard."

In other words? He made ordinary, everyday life magical, which is why I love him. Because I love him, you get TWO poems.

This is just to say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold
-1934
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Just_To_Say"

To a poor old woman

munching a plum ont
he street a paper bag
of them in her hand

They taste good to her
They taste good
to her. They taste
good to her

You can see it by
the way she gives herself
to the one half
sucked out in her hand

Comforted
a solace of ripe plums
seeming to fill the air
They taste good to her

Read them out loud. Taste the words. And the plum connection is totally inadvertant.

3 comments:

At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for introducing me to his works....loving it

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the first poem and love its simplicity, didn't know whose it was, so thanks for that.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the first one about eating the plum in the icebox. wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vivian Dianne Sara
Lilypie Baby Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker