Because I could not stop for death....

I got knocked up instead...

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Thinking Thursdays: Emily Dickinson



In honor of me stealing the line from my all time favorite poem of her's, here's my second favorite (and it's HARD to choose!)


I died for beauty, but was scarce

Adjusted in the tomb,

When one who died for truth was lain

In an adjoining room.


He questioned softly why I failed?

“For beauty,” I replied.

“And I for truth,—the two are one;

We brethren are,” he said.


And so, as kinsmen met a night,

We talked between the rooms,

Until the moss had reached our lips,

And covered up our names.

Who was she? She was an american poet in Mass who basically became a bit of a recluse. (I tend to think she had ADD, but that's just me) She became easily overwhelmed by other people, and preferred her own company. Some individuals have tried to sell this as because of heartbreak. I've always viewed Emily as someone who just couldn't handle people.

She only published 7 pieces while alive, and no one really "saw" her genius. I fell in love with Emily as a child, one of the first poets I even loved. As Kris said, she had a genuine talent for perception of the moment, trapping time in phrases. I've loved Emily's writing because it has always made me think, and as I grow older, still does.



I read these to my daughters in the hope that one day, they'll love her too.

1 comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your daughter!

Emily was a metaphysical romantic poet.

She deserves a film to be done on her.

See my http://kissesandroses.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vivian Dianne Sara
Lilypie Baby Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker