Because I could not stop for death....

I got knocked up instead...

Friday, July 29, 2005

A GREAT point made

I didn't mean don't POST, I meant post with your name! No need to be anonymous! (I've noticed that I wasn't entirely clear with that statement! Sorry!)

I DON'T like the intolerance I see on some blogs-if I'm wrong, then I will admit it. I still have my opinions on the subject, but PLEASE read the comment Anon left on the previous post regarding charities in the Third World. I will be checking some of the links later, because it is MY responsibility to be informed on BOTH sides.

Thank you Anon for providing a well thought and intelligent rebuttal, as opposed to the various versions of "stupidhead!" So PLEASE read. And again Anon, I wasn't saying go away! But leave your name!!!

--------------------------

Good to see you are open to hearing the other side…well, at least reading it and summarily disregarding it. What is the magic of the blog-o-sphere without diverse perspectives? Ah yes, the thought police system that we already have channeled to us by one extreme wing or the other.Your point of the aid being contingent upon conversion is well taken. In fact, I couldn't agree more. However, your skepticism is not necessarily grounded in the realities of the aforementioned NGOs. In fact, only 2 of the ones mentioned actually do any degree of proselytizing (and it is limited). Most try to mix traditional culture with the best practices of international development strategies. For example, where young females are sold to husbands on their 12th birthday, some groups are paying the father the same dowry and instead sending the child to a boarding school. With time and gender training, this practice will change, but for the transition period, it is an adequate compromise. I know of one Christian NGO that preaches abstinence while equally teaching condom use and STD prevention.You cannot enter into another cultural and force your beliefs/systems upon them and you cannot expect a culture to instantly throw their customs out the window and embrace yours. Right or wrong in our western eyes, those practices have existed for centuries and drastic changes will be met with drastic resistance. There is a fine line of diplomacy that even NGOs have to toe up to. I would recommend that people research NGOs before cutting a check…you have to pick ones that are in alignment with your beliefs, goals and perspectives. There are very liberal ones and very conservative ones. However, for every fly-by-night charlatan org with the best of intentions and the lowest of accountability standards, there are many accredited and well-respected organizations that have proven time and again that they truly have innovative ideas to create sustainable change.As with anything, and especially situations where your hard-earned money is on the line, do your research first and avoid making vast generalizations sanctifying or damning an entire category. It is wrong to assume that all are good or that all are evil.Good places to research: www.interaction.org, www.guidestar.org, www.globalgiving.comAnd for alternative news sources...I would recommend www.oneworld.netAnd that is all from the "other side", per your request, I shan't post again.

2 comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to commend you for your honest to God point of view without posturing and posing as if you know it all.

I have worked for NGOs and I also coordinated over 250 NGOs in Nigeria for the World AIDS Day in 1993. Coming from such a highly esteemed background as a project consultant for JHU/PCS and the UNICEF, I can tell a real NGO from a fake one. All their tricks are well known to me. And coming from the largest country in Africa where so many mushroom NGOs are all over the place, I know that foreign donors and sponsors could be fooled by the lip service and chicanery of fraudsters posing and posturing as real NGOs. If it is in Nigeria, such donors and sponsors can contact me to investigate the claims of such NGOs. Ironically, some of these questionable NGOs are stage-managed by well educated and well trained people with good referees from established agencies. In Africa, most of the NGOs are just money making ventures.

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am setting up a web site to uncover 'questionable ngo's' and would like you to send me a list of things to look for if you were to volunteer or send money to one.
Thank you for your time!
Brookechaplin@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vivian Dianne Sara
Lilypie Baby Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker