Because I could not stop for death....

I got knocked up instead...

Friday, June 17, 2005

Accident Prone Worry Poll

So I've had this discussion with a few Mommy friends, and I'm wondering if we're alone in this, since I'm thinking more Mom's feel this way than talk about it.

We live in a world where EVERYONE is almost too paranoid about things-where sometimes we're too eager to stop the kids from hugging eachother at school, or messing around and have a guy wear a dress to the prom. And while in some ways, these are good things, I wonder...

I have one of those klutzy children who seems to bruise easily like I do, so her legs are covered in bruises. That got me to thinking. If I had to take her to the hospital because of one of her many dances down the stairs, I would be scared to do so out of the fear that they will think I'm beating her, and take both kids away.

Anyone else feel like this too? I know it's stupid, but I can't help it, and surprisingly enough, so do the women I know...

4 comments:

At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my son broke his leg (okay, I was carrying him down the stairs and fell, so I suppose technically I broke his little leg) I was the subject of a month-long DCFS investigation. It was completely horrible. As if I didn't feel badly enough about my clumsiness causing my baby so much pain (he's three), now these people come in and tell me I'm a bad mother? I was constantly in tears the whole time. They called the police to the emergency room and everything. Then, about two months later, we got a letter in the mail saying that the charges against me were unfounded and my file would be destroyed. Now every time he falls or bumps his head or anything (like I said, he's three), I get this panicky feeling in my stomach just thinking about having to take him back there.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have felt this way many times. My sons always have bruises on their shins from climbing and stuff and I am always worried someone will think I beat them. My younger son is only five and he has already been to the emergency room three times with stitches! The last time it was partially my fault as I was throwing away some full bottles of beer that didn't get consumed at a family gathering and one exploded. My son just happened to be coming around the corner into the kitchen and caught a flying piece of glass on his cheek and eye. I have never felt so guilty in my life! And beer bottles have been banned from my house.

My older son, however, has never had stitches.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my youngest is "the black eye kid" and my 3 year old is always covered in bruises from tripping and falling over EVERYTHING. I swear one day they will come to investigate and Mira will trip runningto greet them and knock them down, thereby absolving me of any suspicions

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger thordora said...

See, it's stuff like Beth's situation that FREAKS me out. Doesn't help that Vivian gets new bruises by doing nothing. Last light she had a black eye, and I really don't know how she got it, despite being with me all day...

so great, she's inherited my bruise easyness...GREAT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Vivian Dianne Sara
Lilypie Baby Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker